If you missed last week’s post on how I ended up attending the She Speaks Speakers & Writers Conference run by Proverbs 31 Ministries, be sure and read it here. It’s a great story! But today, I want to share some of amazing truths God laid on my heart during my time there, and some things I loved about the conference.
“She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.”
Proverbs 31:26 (NIV)
She Speaks is truly a different kind of conference. Having attended a few blogging conferences, I was expecting session after session to feed my mind, educating me in new writing techniques and helps for how to build my ministry. And there were tons of informative sessions that did just that. But in addition to these educational sessions were numerous sessions about how to find clarity in God’s will, how to embrace His calling, how to deal with tough critics, and more. She Speaks didn’t only feed m mind, but it fed my soul as well.
There were so many instances during the conference that I felt like God was talking directly to me through the speakers, and it was honestly life-changing. Going into this experience, I was struggling with a few things, but I decided to open my heart to whatever God had for me, open and willing to soak up His direction. Boy was I glad I did! The very first speaker, Sharon Glasgow, blew me away with a phenomenal message that I needed very much. She spoke about how when God calls you to a particular path for your life, sometimes in the very next breath, He says, “Wait.” During your season of waiting is when he teaches you and prepares you for the journey ahead. Her words stirred something deep inside my soul, and showed me that my rush to get to where I thought God was leading was detrimental to my journey. I still have so much to learn, and being patient during my season of waiting is a must. Her words were motivating and calming at the same time.
Here are a few other thoughts and truths I took away from the three days at She Speaks:
- “Partner with God and leave your mark as one wise woman.” Lysa Terkeurst
- “You are not called to a method. You are called to a message.” Emily Freeman
- “Our deepest hurts become our greatest sources of strength.” Tom Davis
- “Perfectionism is the mother of procrastination.” Michael Hyatt
- “In order to get a grip, you have to let go.” Karen Ehman
- “A God-sized dream is a desire to have more of what He has for you.” Holley Gerth
- “Fear – its bark is worse than its bite.” Holley Gerth
- “It’s all about the practice, with the hopes of a performance one day.” Lysa Terkeurst
- “When you deny yourself and follow consistently, you will know His will. You will go places you never thought you could go.” Sharon Glasgow
- “Let them connect to you. Make them connect to your message.” Amy Carroll
- “The place where God has called you is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s hunger meet.” Hope Lyda
I also gleaned tons of great insight on developing and marketing an ebook courtesy of Rachel Wojo and Amy Bayliss, tips for creating an eloquent and concise elevator pitch from Kim Bangs, steps to broadening my freelance career from Suzie Eller, and more. I was so inspired by the caliber of women speaking and teaching at this conference!
Aside from the fantastic speakers, the decor was so inviting and gorgeous!
There were words of encouragement from the Bible posted everywhere. There was also a prayer room if anyone felt the need to pray, and I loved our conference bags which included a spiral bound book with a note section for each session. I took tons of notes!!
Since I obviously couldn’t attend every session, I ordered the CD recording of several of the ones I didn’t attend, and can’t wait to continue to glean new insights and encouragement even after the conference.
As another way to stay encouraged by this phenomenal team at Proverbs 31 Ministries, I’ve decided to participate in their online Bible study program. The current study is on Lysa Terkeurst’s book What Happens When Woman Say Yes to God and just started this week. It’s not too late to sign up, and all you have to do is buy the book! This free online study has been amazing so far and it just got started. My mom is joining me in this study, but I would love some of you to as well! You can also follow along on Twitter with hashtag #YestoGod.